Hilton Head means beautiful beaches, and every year over two million visitors flock here to enjoy the warm sunshine and beautiful, sloping shores of the Island. More than 12 miles of beaches encircle Hilton Head. All beaches are public from the ocean to the high tide mark, but not all have “public access,” meaning the beaches lie within private plantations and are for residents and guests only.
There are five guarded beaches that have great public access and offer showers, snack bars, water fountains, metered parking and bike racks (other amenities may be available, including umbrella and chair rentals, water sports equipment, and food trucks):
- Alder Lane Beach Access, off South Forest Beach Drive
- Coligny Beach Park, off Coligny Circle
- Driessen Beach Park, at the end of Bradley Beach Road
- Folly Field Beach Park, off Folly Field Road
- Islanders Beach Park, off Folly Field Road
Four other beaches have public access, but are not guarded:
- Burkes Beach Access, at the end of Burkes Beach Road
- Chaplin Community Park, off of William Hilton Parkway
- Fish Haul Park, at the end of Beach City Road
- Mitchelville Beach Park, off Beach City Road
There are several rules and regulations you need to know.
- Mile markers are provided along the beaches in case of emergency.
- Fishing, flying kites and throwing frisbees are prohibited in areas that are designated as swimming areas.
- Motorized vehicles, except wheelchairs, are prohibited.
- Alcohol is not permitted on the beaches, although there are several fun beach bars you may enjoy.
- All powerboats and waverunners must stay 100 yards offshore and are not permitted on the beaches.
- Walking through the sand dunes and picking or cutting of dune plants is not permitted.
- All living creatures must stay on the beach, although shelling is encouraged.
The rules pertaining to dogs are confusing so it is best to check the signs posted to see when they are permitted on the beach and whether or not they require leashing. One rule is clear, however: you must clean up any messes!
Please make every attempt not to litter and to keep the beach as beautiful as when you first arrived. Just leave your footprints.
For any additional information about our beaches, contact the Beach Information and Services at (843) 342-4580, or visit the Town of Hilton Head’s website.