The Gullah Museum of Hilton Head, located in a restored 1930s cabin, strives to preserve, protect and promote the
Gullah culture. The museum received the esteemed 2012 National Preservation Honor Award by National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Even though the museum is still in its early stages of development, it is open for tours on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., or by appointment Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. Tours are conducted by Museum founder and Gullah storyteller Louise Cohen, a descendant of the cabin’s original owner, William ‘Duey’ Simmons. Visitors will learn first-hand what life was like on Hilton Head before a bridge was built to the mainland in 1956.
Location and Phone Number:
12 Georgianna Drive (Gumtree Road between William Hilton Parkway/US 278 and Squire Pope Road)
Hilton Head Island, SC 29926