Welcome to the Lowcountry!
“101 Things to Do” is a free visitor magazine published in print and on-line twice a year. Explore our 101 articles to get an insider’s look at things to do and places to go on Hilton Head Island, SC, as well as the mysterious Daufuskie Island and three of the country’s favorite historic cities: Beaufort, SC, Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. This magazine is designed to not only give you ideas of how to spend your time, but to give you an appreciation for our land and our people.
Our neck of the woods is commonly called the Lowcountry, a geographic area that stretches along coastal South Carolina and Georgia. It calls to mind miles of beaches, endless salt marshes, cotton and rice plantations canopied by old towering oak trees dripping with Spanish moss, a countless variety of wildlife, and the other-worldly hues and scents of a rustling Southern seashore.
As you read through our 101 articles (our “things to do” are not ranked in any particular order), you will learn the origin of our name; about how the Revolutionary and Civil Wars affected this island; about the influence of the Gullah culture; and how a bridge and one man dramatically turned an isolated sea island into a world-famous destination resort.
By the Numbers
There are about 40,000 of us who live on Hilton Head year-around and there are plenty of reasons for that, as we hope you will soon find out.
- The Island is 42 square miles – 12 miles long and five miles wide.
- We are located about 45 minutes north of Savannah, Georgia, about 50 minutes south of Beaufort, South Carolina, and about 2 hours south of Charleston, South Carolina.
- We are the second largest barrier island on the East Coast of the United States (Long Island, New York being the largest).
- The Island is comprised of about 28,000 acres of dry land and about 2,000 acres of wetlands.
- We have 13 miles of wide white sand public beaches, over 100 miles of bike and leisure trails, 23 golf courses on-island (another 22 near-by), and more than 300 tennis courts.
- We gratefully receive around 2.5 million visitors a year.
- We have well over 300 restaurants and hundreds of stores, not to mention thousands of beds on which to lay your exhausted heads!
- We are consistently ranked at the top of numerous “Best Of” lists by the travel industry’s most reputable sources, including Conde Nast Traveler, Travel & Leisure magazine, and TripAdvisor.
We hope this magazine will aid you in finding that has that special “thing to do” for your visit to the Lowcountry. (And when you call or visit our advertisers, please don’t forget to mention that you read about them or saw their ad in “101”!). One last thing: Please contact our editor (843-682-3205) if you find any inaccuracies or have any suggestions.
So, sit back and read? Then get up and enjoy!
PLEASE NOTE: If you want detailed information about a specific activity (e.g., prices, schedules, availability, etc.), please directly contact the companies listed on that activity page. “101” is not an activity company. We are just a magazine publisher who represent the companies listed.