Welcome to the Lowcountry!
“101 Things to Do” is a free visitor magazine published in print and on-line twice a year.
Explore our 101 articles to get an insider’s look at things to do and places to go on Hilton Head Island, SC, as well as the mysterious Daufuskie Island and three of the country’s favorite historic cities: Beaufort, SC, Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA.
This magazine is designed to not only give you ideas of how to spend your time, but to give you an appreciation for our land and our people.
Our neck of the woods is commonly called the Lowcountry, a geographic area that stretches along coastal South Carolina and Georgia. It calls to mind miles of beaches, endless salt marshes, cotton and rice plantations canopied by old towering oak trees dripping with Spanish moss, a countless variety of wildlife, and the other-worldly hues and scents of a rustling Southern seashore.
By the Numbers
- There are almost 40,000 of us who live on Hilton Head year-around and there are plenty of reasons for that, as we hope you will soon find out.
- The Island is 42 square miles – 12 miles long and five miles wide.
- We are the second largest barrier island on the East Coast of the United States (Long Island, New York being the largest).
- The Island is comprised of about 28,000 acres of dry land and about 2,000 acres of wetlands.
- We have 12 miles of wide white sand beaches, over 50 miles of bike and leisure trails, 23 golf courses on-island (another 22 near-by), and more than 300 tennis courts.
- We gratefully receive around 2.5 million visitors a year.
- We have well over 200 restaurants and hundreds of stores, not to mention thousands of beds on which to lay your exhausted heads!
- We are about 45 minutes north of Savannah, Georgia, about 50 minutes south of Beaufort, South Carolina, and about 2 hours south of Charleston, South Carolina.
These numbers, however, don’t even begin to give you a flavor for our real home. To understand Hilton Head Island and the Lowcountry, you need to understand our history, the migration and character of our people, our bountiful wildlife, and the economic forces that drive our development.
As you read through our 101 articles, you will learn the origin of our name; about how the Revolutionary and Civil Wars affected this island; about the influence of the Gullah culture; and how a bridge and one man dramatically turned an isolated sea island into a world-famous destination resort.
We hope this will aid you in finding a company that has that special “thing to do” for your visit to the Lowcountry. (And when you call or visit our advertisers, please don’t forget to mention that you read about them or saw their ad in “101”!).
And our maps, lots of maps! Hilton Head, Bluffton, Beaufort, Savannah.
One last thing: Please contact our editor (843-682-3205) if you find any inaccuracies or have any suggestions.
So, sit back and read. Then get up and enjoy!
PLEASE NOTE: If you want detailed information about a specific activity (e.g., prices, availability, etc.), please directly contact the companies listed on that activity page. “101” is not an activity company. We are just a magazine publisher who represent the companies listed.
- In addition to Hilton Head, we also publish visitor magazines in the California, Oregon, Hawaii, Arizona, and the Outer Banks of North Carolina. To view these magazines, visit our website at www.101things.com.
- 1. Visit the Coastal Discovery Museum
- 2. Climb a Lighthouse and See the View
- 3. Golf the Lowcountry
- 4. Rent a Bike & Explore the Island
- 5. Rent a Golf Cart & Explore Daufuskie
- 6. Discover the Dolphins
- 7. Comb a Beach
- 8. Rent a Boat & Be Your Own Captain
- 9. Take a Boat to Savannah
- 10. Do a Zipline
- 11. Climb Through the Trees
- 12. Learn About Our Wildlife
- 13. Encounter an Alligator
- 14. Photograph Nature with a Pro
- 15. Go Birdwatching
- 16. Visit a Maritime Center
- 17. Watch the Sun Set
- 18. Go Horseback Riding
- 19. Explore Nature's Refuges
- 20. Take a Tasty Walking Tour
- 21. Play a Game of Bridge
- 22. Check Out Beautiful Shelter Cove
- 23. Check Out the Happenings at Coligny Circle
- 24. Check Out the Fun at Palmetto Bay Marina
- 25. Check Out Legendary Harbour Town
- 26. Check Out Sunny South Beach
- 27. Check Out the Adventures at Broad Creek Marina
- 28. Take a Sunset Dinner Cruise
- 29. Take a Boat to a Restaurant
- 30. Take a Sailing Cruise
- 31. Sail on an America's Cup Boat
- 32. Cruise on a Catamaran
- 33. Fly in a Trimaran
- 34. Get Over It With Parasailing
- 35. Get a Thrill on a Banana Boat
- 36. Go Waterskiing & Tubing
- 37. Get Wild on a Waverunner
- 38. Fly High in a Jetpack
- 39. Paddle the Lowcountry's Waters
- 40. Hit the Surf
- 41. Take a Raft Ride
- 42. Stand Up & Paddle
- 43. Go Charter Fishin'
- 44. Fish on a Party Boat
- 45. Fish the Fresh Waters
- 46. Go Fly Fishing
- 47. Hunt for "Jaws"
- 48. Go Crabbing
- 49. Go Trawling for Shrimp
- 50. Learn About the Gullah Culture
- 51. Explore the Stoney-Baynard Ruins
- 52. Visit Historic Churches
- 53. Explore Historic Bluffton
- 54. Visit the Heyward House
- 55. Tour a Lowcountry Plantation
- 56. Encounter the Haunted Side
- 57. Visit Our Libraries
- 58. Visit Historic Forts
- 59. Visit the First Freedman's Village
- 60. Play at a Children's Museum
- 61. Create Your Own Memories
- 62. Meet the Small Animals
- 63. Check Out Our Parks & Playgrounds
- 64. Play a Round of Miniature Golf
- 65. Watch the Fireworks
- 66. Be a Pirate of the Calibogue
- 67. Play Tennis
- 68. Discover Daufuskie Island
- 69. Do Daufuskie On Your Own
- 70. Go to the Theatre
- 71. Do the Music Scene
- 72. Spend the Day at a Spa
- 73. Go Out to Wine & Dine
- 74. Shop 'Til You Drop
- 75. Shop a Farmers Market
- 76. Buy a Piece of the Foot
- 77. Take a Trolley Tour of Savannah
- 78. Take a Specialty Tour of Savannah
- 79. Tour the Sites of "The Book"
- 80. Take a Riverboat Cruise
- 81. See the Movie Sets of Savannah
- 82. Shop the Cobbled Streets
- 83. Be a Ghost Hunter
- 84. Tour Savannah's Historic Homes
- 85. Visit the Bamboo Farm
- 86. Honor the Mighty 8th
- 87. Visit a Train Museum
- 88. Visit Savannah's Colonial Churches
- 89. Party Savannah
- 90. Visit Savannah's Forts
- 91. Get Carriaged Away
- 92. Visit an Art Museum
- 93. Visit Colonial Wormsloe Plantation
- 94. Don't Miss Tybee Island
- 95. Explore Beautiful Beaufort
- 96. Visit the Parris Island Museum
- 97. Visit Hunting Island
- 98. Visit the Penn Center
- 99. Explore Sheldon Church Ruins
- 100. Turn Back Time in Historic Charleston
- 101. Experience a Southern Plantation
Hilton Head Island, Hilton Head Airport, SC
Last Updated on Apr 27 2015, 8:50 am EDT
Current Conditions: Overcast
Wind: North at 9mph
- Adventure Cove Miniature Golf and Arcade
- Aerial Adventure Hilton Head
- Art Cafe
- Arts Center of Coastal Carolina
- Bargain Box
- Bicycle Billy's
- Black Dagger by Pirates of Hilton Head
- Black Orchid Pirate Cruises
- Calibogue Cruises
- Capt. Hook Party Fishing Boat
- Coconut Bike Rentals
- Commander Zodiac
- Crabber J II (Adventure Cruises)
- Dolphin and Nature Cruises
- Dolphin Seafari
- Ed Funk Photography
- Express Restaurant Delivery
- Flying Circus Sailing Catamaran
- Frosty Frog Cafe & Daiquiri Bar
- Gullah Museum of Hilton Head Island
- Harbour Town Lighthouse Museum
- Heritage Library Foundation
- Heavenly Spa by Westin
- Heyward House Museum
- HHI Jetpack
- Hilton Head Vacation Rentals
- The Holiday (Adventure Cruises)
- Island Explorer
- Island Recreation Center and the SHARE Center for Active Adults
- Inzanouts Travel Guides
- Kayak Hilton Head
- Lawton Stables
- Legacy of Golf Shop & Museum
- Live Oac Adventures
- Lowcountry Wildlife Photo Safaris
- Maritime Gift Galley
- Moneric Fishing Charters
- Oglethorpe Trolley Tours
- Old Savannah Tours
- Outside Hilton Head
- Palmetto Bay Marina
- Palmetto Bay Watersports
- Pau Hana Sailing Catamaran
- Pedals Bicycles
- Runaway Charters
- The Sandbox, An Interactive Children's Museum
- Savannah Riverboat Cruises
- Savor the Lowcountry Tours
- Shoppe at the Top
- Sky Pirate Watersports
- Spirit of Harbour Town (Vagabond Cruises)
- Stars and Stripes (Vagabond Cruises)
- Sumo Charters
- Up the Creek Pub and Grill
- Urban Vegan Cafe
- Uzip Electric Bike Rentals
- Vacation Time of Hilton Head Island
- The Vagabond (Vagabond Cruises)
- ZipLine Hilton Head